Kimchi fried rice has become one of my favourite seasoned rice dishes to make at home. It’s so simple to make. Much easier than Chinese style fried rice. You don’t even need to cook the rice a day ahead. This means you can prepare kimchi fried ride the same day you plan on serving it!
Kimchi Fried Rice Ingredients
You only need a few ingredients for kimchi fried rice. The main ingredients are rice, kimchi, garlic, gochujang paste and sesame oil. Most of these might already be in your pantry or can be found in Asian supermarkets. To finish the dish and add more flavour, you can add green onion, toasted sesame and toasted seaweed.
Tips for Making Kimchi Fried Rice
Kimchi fried rice is a simple dish but if it’s your first time making it, here are some tips to ensure success!
- While you can use freshly cooked rice to make kimchi fried rice, I found it’s best to let the rice cool to room temperature first. This will let the rice release most of its moisture.
- Before you take out the kimchi for chopping, squeeze out as much of the juice from the cabbage as possible.
- Since store-bought kimchi varies in saltiness, add some salt at the end of your cooking if you find the fried rice is not salty enough.
What to Serve with Kimchi Fried Rice
I love serving kimchi fried rice with BBQ Korean beef short ribs (pictured). Alternatively, I’ve also served this with bulgogi and used it to make omurice – an egg omelette filled with fried rice. Have you made kimchi fried rice before? What did you serve it with?
Kimchi Fried Rice Recipe (김치볶음밥) 泡菜炒飯食譜
- 3 cups cooked rice (see recipe note)
- 1 cup chopped kimchi (see recipe note)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup kimchi juice
- 3 tbsp water
- 1.5 tbsp gochujang, add more if you like it spicier
- 3 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 green onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- kosher salt, to taste (see note below)
- toasted seaweed, shredded (for serving, optional)
- In a bowl, combine together the kimchi juice, water and gochujang. Give it a good mix so the gochujang is almost completely dissolved.
- In a wok or a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and chopped kimchi and stir-fry for about a minute or until kimchi are soften.
- Add the cooked rice and with a wooden spoon, mix until the chopped kimchi is evenly distributed.
- Turn up the heat and add the kimchi juice/gochujang mixture and sesame oil. Stir all ingredients together and keep tossing the rice until the rice starts to brown.
- When the rice is done, turn off the heat. Stir in the chopped green onion and toasted sesame seeds. Season with salt if required. Before serving top the rice with shredded toasted seaweed (optional).