When I invite people over for breakfast, my go-to dish is usually a nice stack of fluffy buttermilk pancakes. They are quick to make and are so versatile. Serve them savoury with pulled pork or crispy fried chicken, or sweet with fruits, jams or whatever you fancy. In this recipe, I’m topping my stack of fluffy buttermilk pancakes with cinnamon apples and crispy oats.
Game Plan – Making Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes for Breakfast
To minimize dishwashing and to keep the fluffy buttermilk pancakes warm while the rest cooks, here the game plan:
- Toast the oats topping in the oven. This way the oven will be ready to keep your pancakes warm.
- Dice your apples and have all the ingredients ready to go. You will start cooking the apples right away after the pancakes are done.
- Cook the fluffy buttermilk pancakes. Keep them in the oven to keep warm while you finish cooking the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook the apples in the same pan that you use for the pancakes. Give the pan a wipe first to clear out any batter/burnt bits.
Once the apples are done, you have all the components of this dish ready for plating.
What to do with the leftover Crispy Oats?
There will be extra crispy oats topping which you can sprinkle on top of yogurt, ice cream or salads to add crunch.
Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes with Apples & Crispy Oats Recipe
Ingredients for Crispy Oats Topping:
- 3/4 cup quick rolled oats
- 2.5 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
Ingredients for Fluffy Butter Milk Pancakes:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- oil for greasing the pan
- maple syrup for serving (optional)
Ingredients for Sauté Cinnamon Apples:
- 2 small apples (I used Granny Smith in the photo)
- 1.5 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (adjust to your preference)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Instructions for Crispy Oats Topping:
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Combine oats and brown sugar. Add in the melted butter and stir until everything is coated.
- Spread the oats mixture evenly onto the parchment lined baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes. Give the oats mixture a stir about halfway into the baking time.
- When done, remove oats topping from the oven and let cool completely on a rack before storing the topping in an airtight container.
Instructions for Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes:
- Combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt and sugar) together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg with buttermilk.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredient. Do not over mix. The batter should be slightly lumpy.
- Heat a bit of oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Ladle about 1/4 cup of pancake batter into the pan. Cook the pancake until you see bubbles popping on the surface and the edges are golden (about 1-2 minutes). Flip the pancake and cook the other side for about 30-60 seconds. Remove pancake to a baking tray & repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Stack the cooked pancakes on a baking tray and keep it in a low temperature oven (~150-180F) to keep warm while you cook the rest of the pancakes.
Instructions for Sauté Cinnamon Apples:
- Core apples and cut them into large chunks. Whether you leave them skin on or off it's up to you.
- In a pan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add apples and sauté until soften, about 3-5 minutes depending on the size of the apple chunks. When the apples are softened, stir in brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook the apples for another 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently to make sure the sugar doesn't burn. Remove from heat.
Assembling the Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes with Sauté Cinnamon Apples & Crispy Oats Topping:
- Stack 2-3 pancakes on a plate, top it with some apple chunks then sprinkle the crispy oats topping. For added sweetness, drizzle some maple syrup on top.