I prefer drinking Matcha (Green Tea) Latte over coffee. Some days, I’d pick up a cup from Starbucks on the way to work. But the money adds up. So I try to find an easy way to make frothy matcha lattes at home to save a few bucks. It turns out making this at home is really easy even if you don’t have a matcha whisk! All you need is a mason jar (or any lidded jar) to make a simple matcha latte.
Making Matcha Latte with Mason Jar
You only need a few ingredients to make matcha latte in a mason jar. The 2 most important ingredients are matcha and milk. You can find matcha in tea shops or at Asian supermarket such as T&T. The price for matcha and its flavour (or intensity) varies depending on grade. For milk, I usually use 2% or whole milk but you can substitute with soy milk, rice milk or nut milk. Sweeteners are not required but you could use sugar, honey, agave or maple syrup to sweeten the matcha latte.
Getting a Frothy Latte
The easiest way to make a frothy latte is to add all your ingredients into a mason jar and shake it hard for 30-60 seconds. The hot milk will foam up initially and the more you shake it, the frothier it’d get. To stabilize the froth, remove the lid and microwave the jar for 30 seconds.
While the above method is simple and quick, the flaw is that you’ll end up with some clumps of matcha that didn’t fully dissolve. To make a smoother matcha latte, start by mixing a couple tablespoons of hot water with the matcha. You can mix it with a spoon, a small metal whisk or a bamboo matcha whisk. Whisk until the matcha is fully dissolved. Then add this “matcha concentrate” to the mason jar along with sugar and hot milk. Shake everything together to make the latte.
Simple Matcha Latta with Mason Jar Recipe
- 1 cup hot milk
- 1-1.5 tsp matcha powder follow package instructions or adjust the amount to your taste
- sugar or other sweetener, to taste optional
- Add hot milk, matcha powder, and sugar into the jar.
- Put the lid on and shake the jar as hard as you can for 15-20 seconds. For more froth, shake hard for 30-60 seconds. The longer and harder you shake, the longer foam will last.
- Pour into a mug and enjoy!
For a smoother matcha latte
- Mix a couple tablespoons of hot water together with the matcha using a spoon, a small metal whisk or a bamboo matcha whisk. Whisk until the matcha is fully dissolved.
- Add this "matcha concentrate" to the mason jar along with sugar and hot milk.
- Close the lid and shake the jar for 30-60 seconds. Pour into a mug and enjoy!